The Society of America Archivists has published Using Archives: A Guide to Effective Research, by Laura Schmidt. Intended as a guide to researchers, especially those who may be new to archival research, you can down the pdf by visiting http://www2.archivists.org/usingarchives.
The content includes:
- How archives function
- How to identify appropriate archives for your research
- How to access historical materials and research at an archives
Repositories and their collecting scopes and practices may differ, but the principles in this guide should assist you in accomplishing your research goals at any archival institution. The table of contents:
- What Are Archives and How Do They Differ from Libraries?
- Types of Archives
- Finding and Evaluating Archives
- Requesting Materials Remotely
- Planning to Visit an Archives
- Typical Usage Guidelines in Archival Repositories
- Notes on Copyright, Restrictions, and Unprocessed Collections
- Visiting an Archives
- A Final Word/Additional Resources
- Appendix: Sample Annotated Finding Aid